1) Modern “genre” (concept and style) driven layout design principle: Establishing a layout style that is valued in the current stream of online media. Strictly avoiding dated “old” layout concepts.
2) Industry driven layout design principle: Understanding industry specific concepts and styles.
3) Demographics driven layout design principle: Basing layout design concepts on the understanding of the visitor’s age, sex, location and surfing behavior.
4) Brand identity driven layout design principle: A) Establishing creative ways to integrate company’s (client’s) identity elements to the layout; B) Approaching the layout design as a brand differentiating identity factor in re-enforcing the brand.
5) Hardware and software driven layout design principle: Taking into account several technical and functional criteria such as the age and type of computers that will be used to surf the website, use of mobile devices, typically used resolution settings, importance of overall visual impact, requirements to change an established scale in the future.
Layout design provides walls for the house — it is a highly significant phase in the process of creating effective customized Web media that has a long online lifespan.