We’ve been working on some very interesting mobile platform projects recently; below are some details about what we’ve been up to.
Case 1: HTML5 based iPad App Development
HTML5 based iPad web application for a medical company
Task: Interaria was recently contacted by an international medical company who needed a portable and scalable solution for collecting and processing medical data. The system was to be exclusively used internally requiring user accounts and a secure login and management platform.
Developed Features: login/logout, my profile, access a partial list from the full database of clients, sort accessed information, collect and easily submit input information, store and process information, create visual graphics and reports on data, access admin portal
Technology Solution: We identified a need for an HTML5 based iPad web application that the users can access even when off-line, and not connected to a WiFi network.
Technology Details: Interaria developed an HTML5 based iPad web application integrated with a native iOS code. In other words, we developed a hybrid HTML5 iOS app where the core of the app loads from a web server but utilizes some of the nice features of an iOS app such as push notifications and GPS enabled mapping. Our solution was a hybrid app developed with both the HTML5 code and iOS codes.
For the purposes of rapid development and rapid deployment, HTML5 coded apps creates following advantages:
1) Quick changes. We can make quick changes to the app for the client without each time needing to re/submit the app to the Apple’s App Store for a review and approval process. This saves our client significant time.
2) Privacy of the app. Not needing to submit the app to a review process at the Apple’s App Store ensures the app stays private.
3) No re-installations. In most cases, once installed, the end-user will not need to update or reinstall the app when the app has been updated/upgraded with new features.
4) Off-line functionality. The client’s users can access and use the app even when off-line. This technology improves critical usability in case of internet connection/ WiFi network being down due to a geographically remote area or unreliable area for WiFi (such as parking garages, basements, hospitals). If data is recorded within the app while the device is offline, upon re/establishing a connection to the server, data will seamlessly sync.
The bottom line: When do we recommend using html5 mobile web app over a fully native iOS app?
In situations where we want to avoid using Apple’s App Store distribution system, such as when an app is developed for private and exclusive use, and for when a client has a critical/short timeline for app’s launch.
Case 2: Suite of Mobile App Solutions
Suite of Mobile App Solutions for a Community Social Networking System
Task: For the last couple of years (and still continuing) the Interaria team has been developing mobile solutions for a social networking company.
Developed features: Timeline based feed of private content. Members can read and create posts relevant to their community. Members have an option to add comments to posts, and save them to their account. Members can join and organize subgroups. Native mobile push and email notifications are sent according to the user’s preferences. The community network’s administrator has a full dashboard of features to monitor and manage the usage of the networking system.
Technology Solution: We’ve developed the social networking system on three different platforms, addressing the needs of users on different types of mobile devices and mobile usage preferences:
– iOS (iOS app Objective-C integrated with HTML5),
– Android (Java/HTML5 integrated Android app), and
– Mobile web platform (native HTML5 mobile web app).
We continue developing and maintaining the mobile app systems by developing new features and launching system upgrades.
Case 3: Mobile Websites
Interaria continues to offer mobile site development along with website development. Our mobile web sites stream from the same content management system that is used for the dynamic web content. This minimizes any extra work for maintaining two platforms.
As Google is now putting a special emphasis on mobile specific search results, we highly recommend investing on a mobile web site if your company is considering developing a new website. Not only does the mobile site cater an unavoidable and increasingly large user base of visitors but it also guarantees that mobile users making searches on Google will reach your valuable content.
The Interaria team is very excited about providing the most applicable and fully customized solutions for the mobile platform experience. More details and a private tour are available by request. If your company is looking for a mobile solution, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 214-909-3900.